Amusing and Amazing Facts about Gamers
The research published by ESA (Entertainment Software Association) says that on an average, gamers are of 30 or more years of age. Some differences may have been visible in the findings of the last surveys and the most recent ones, but not due to any demographic change, but due to the change in the methodology of ESA who asked survey-takers this time that whether they “play video or computer game”, unlike their previous question that whether they “had a PC or game console for gaming”. So, the latest findings include gamers who play on tablets, phones and most probably in arcades. Therefore, the latest observations infer definitely that an average advanced video gamer is of age over 30.
Some more amusing facts about gamers and games are:
- On an average, there is no less than one dedicated PC, game console or smartphone in a US household
- 47% players of video games are female
- A remarkably greater portion of gamers’ population is represented by women of age 18 or above, i.e. 30%, than that of boys’ population of age 17 or below, i.e. 18%
- There is at least one console in 49% of households, and on an average consoles owned are two
- The average age of people who buy games frequently is 35
- Major reasons of popularity of games and why they are purchased are: high quality graphics, enticing storyline, since it is a sequel and mouth publicity
- Percentage of gamers playing games on their phones is 33%
- Percentage of players playing games with others (online or in-person) is 62%
- Adult players play for an average period of 14 years; women play for 12 years on an average, while men play for 16 years
Fun Facts about Types of Games Played
The most popular types of games played online are puzzles, card games, game show, board games and trivia which are played by 42% of gamers, while action games, strategy games, sports games and role playing games are popular with 25% of people. 70% gamers play on their consoles, while 65% play on their PC and 38% play on their smartphones.
Why Do Parents Play Games with Their Kids?
5 major reasons why parents play games with their kids are:
- 85% play for the reason that they are asked to
- 90% play because they enjoy them as family fun
- 79% play to socialize with their kids
- 56% play because that way they can check the game content
- 48% play because they love playing games as much as or more than their kids do
- 52% parents are of opinion that video games form a positive component of their kid/s’ life
Bottom line is major portion of gaming community is formed by adults, and not teens or children. This finding will hopefully “console” those, who complain that most children waste their time on video games.